- When it comes to wood carving, professionals rely on Dremel more than other brands.
- Getting the best Dremel bits will make your life easier and save money by having longer service life.
- Know the wood carving bit types, and choose the right one from the review in this article.
With nearly a century of producing some of the most finely-made construction tools, Dremel is a brand that stands out to any DIYer or professional woodworker. So, if you’re reading this article, I already know you have good taste!
Now, with so many great products by them already on the market, finding the absolute best Dremel bits for wood carving can be somewhat confusing… unless you have help, of course.
And that’s why, today, I’ve rounded up 8 of the best ones. With these bits, I bet you’ll be able to take your power carving to the next level. No matter which rotary tool you’re using, I am sure you’ll find the right bit from my picks.
So, let’s get started!
Top 5 Wood Carving Dremel Bits:
What Are the Types of Dremel Bits Used in Wood Carving?
There are 4 types of Dremel bits used in wood carving by professionals. Even if you are a beginner, having all types in your kit will give you the confidence of completing any wood carving project.
The disc-shaped bits you see in the set are mainly used for cutting. Based on the space and gap between the teeth, you will see different bits.
There is a quick way to recognize the bits that are used for cutting. Notice the intervals; if they are larger, you will know that the disc is used for cutting wood.
Drilling and Routing Bits
For drilling and routing, there are different shapes and sizes of bits in the set. Because of the wide variety, you have to select the right one according to your requirements. Also, make sure that your Dremel tool is compatible.
For finishing and final touches, you have to use sanding bits in your Dremel tool. They can either be drums or discs.
Both of them are very useful and have different use cases. The most interesting part is that you can use them for woods along with other materials like glass.
Etching and Engraving Bits
Lastly, tiny bits are used for etching and engraving. It lets you do the designs that are tough with larger bits.
8 Best Dremel Bits for Wood Carving Reviews
Ready to turn your Dremel tool into a lean, mean wood-carving machine? Take your pick from the bits I’ve reviewed below.
1. Kutzall Original Flame Rotary Burr
- Shaft: 1/8”
- Teeth: Abrasive Tungsten Carbide
- Head: ¼” Diameter x ½” Length
- Weight: 1 ounce
- Operating Speed Range: 10,000 – 25,000 RPM
Looking for a suitable abrasive burr for your next wood carving project? I don’t think you’ll need to look any further than this highly rated offering from Kutzall. Made from super-strength tungsten carbide, this is one of the most efficient burring bits you can find for your Dremel rotary tool.
Be it grinding, cutting, or shaping, this bit is bound to ease the process. It comes with sharp, pointed teeth that have been laid out uniformly to form a dependably abrasive surface. As a result, the tool removes material very quickly without leaving a rough surface on your workpiece.
I also love this bit for its super smooth-cutting action. As it’s suitable to use with rotary tools at a maximum RPM of 25,000, you can imagine how smoothly it’ll carve through your wood.
This tool bit, with its 1/8″ shaft, is said to work 7 to 10 times faster than others. All in all, it’s quite easy to see why this is one of Kutzall’s best-selling bits.
That being said, it’s worth noting that this bit might be prone to wearing out faster than others in its class, particularly if you use it a lot or accidentally drop it. For its performance and reasonable price, however, I think that’s a small trade-off.
- For better strength and long service life, the bits are made of tungsten carbide.
- It can remove materials 7 to 10 times faster than competitors.
- It supports a wide range of rotary tools including popular brands such as DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee.
- Despite the good sides, you must know that Kutzall bits don’t work well on hardwoods.
2. SPTA HSS Router Carbide Bits
- Quantity: 20Pcs
- Teeth: HSS
- Shank diameter: 0.125 inches
- Shank Length: 1-1/2” (39mm)
- Weight: 3.17 ounces
Next on my list is another highly-rated selection, although this one is a set. Available from SPTA, this 20-piece set has all you need to create the finer details of your woodworking project: half of the set is dedicated to engraving, while the other half will allow you to carry out routine routing applications.
Made from premium quality high-speed steel, the bits in this set are made to offer you a long service time. Because of the wide variety of the bit pieces included in this set, you can expect to be able to enjoy a wide variety of applications from it as well.
So, what’s in the box? Other than the abrasive bits, you’re also getting several different bit types, including V-groove, slot cutter, cove, and beading. This means that you won’t be limited to just carving wood; from metal to ABS to plastic, these bits can help you achieve just the right details on your piece.
Each of the bits in this set comes with a shank of 1/8″ or 3mm, making it ideal for engraving and drilling besides carving.
The titanium coating of each bit ensures that you will have to deal with lower fading, friction, and peeling. That being said, this is not the most durable set out there, but given the low price, that’s not a surprise.
- The set includes bits for different applications including carving, engraving, routing, etc.
- A high-quality build with high-speed steel makes it suitable for tough jobs.
- Titanium coating gives the bits protection from friction, peeling, and wearing-too-fast.
- They are suitable for a wide range of materials such as ABS, acrylic, and different non-metal objects.
- Giving a user manual showing the possible carving shapes would be more convenient.
3. ALLmuis Double Cut Carbide Rotary Burr Set
- Teeth: Tungsten Carbide
- Shank Diameter: 1/8”
- Total Length: 45-50 mm
- Weight: 0.634 ounces
- Operating Speed Range: 25,000 – 70,000 RPM
This 10-piece set is one of the most sought-after burrs sets on the market, and it’s easy to see why. Constructed from hard carbide and tungsten steel, each of the bits in this set is built for optimum durability, an impressive feat considering the low price of the set.
With a shank diameter of 3.6mm, each bit has been equipped with a double-cut cross design. So, beyond wood, these bits can also be used with plastic and aluminum or other materials with low-density builds.
You can use these bits at RPMs of between 25000 and 50000, although you can’t go above 70000. I hope you won’t need to, anyway.
The most impressive thing about the bits in this set is their efficiency. Particularly when your account for the set’s affordability, it’s particularly gratifying to see how smoothly each one performs.
This is thanks to the bits’ hardness of HRA85 and uniform cutting motion. For small tasks and low-RPM jobs, you can consider them the best Dremel bits for wood carving.
- Their titanium carbide construction gives longer service life.
- For very smooth performances and better hardness, the manufacturer endured an HRA85 rating.
- The bits can be used on several low-density materials and metals.
- With ⅛” shack diameter, you can use them at up to 70,000 RPM.
- As these bits are not balanced well, you can’t use them in high RPM settings.
4. ORAPXI Double Cut Carbide Rotary Burr Set
- Quantity: 10Pcs
- Shank Diameter: 1/8”
- Teeth: Tungsten steel Hard Carbide
- Weight: 2.08 Ounces
- Total Length: 1.75-1.95 inches
While I am on the topic of sets, it would be a crime to skip over this 10-piece offering from ORAPXI. Similarly constructed from high-quality carbide tungsten steel, each of the bits in this set is made to give you the ultimate wood carving performance, which some users say is better compared to their experience of using high-speed steel.
But once again, you’re not only limited to wood: from plastic and ABS to aluminum and ivory; these rotary burrs can make short work of it all. Whether it’s carving, routing, polishing, etching, or engraving, I am sure you’ll find a suitable bit for it in this set.
The double-cut design, in particular, makes the construction of the bit suitable for dependable carving. The crossed groove lines not only make the bits in this set versatile but prevents annoying chipping and fading.
Plus, with a processing hardness of HRA85, it’s easy to see why these bits are capable of lasting such a long time. They also offer a smooth and easy motion of workability, which is bound to cut downtime.
All in all, this is certainly a set worth keeping in your toolbox if you’re interested in producing intricate finery on your pieces. And with its wide range of applications, it might even allow you to expand your creative horizons!
- The set includes bits for a wide range of applications.
- High-quality tungsten steel construction makes them more durable.
- Soft materials like plastic or aluminum are better for the bits for their double-cut groove.
- Individual bit packaging is a bit inconvenient for quick tool changing.
5. Carving Expert 10pcs Rotary Burr
- Shank Diameter: 1/8”
- Teeth: Tungsten Carbide
- Head: ¼” Diameter
- Weight: 2.57 ounces
- Hardness: Up to HRA≥85
Made specifically for the Dremel, this 10-piece set from Carving Expert features rotary burrs for all of your wood-carving needs. Each of the pieces has been equipped with a double-cut style with crossed rows of teeth, making it ideal for a wide variety of applications. Let’s see what it has to offer.
Constructed from premium quality tungsten carbide, these bits are primed for use with various materials other than wood. Particularly if you also like to frequently work with metal, you’ll appreciate this set as it’s suitable for use with harder metals such as alloy steel, cast iron, and carbon steel.
These bits each come with a shank diameter of 1/8″ and a cutting head of 1/4″. As such, they are compatible with the majority of rotary tools out there, so even if you’re not using a Dremel, you can still enjoy the benefits of this versatile set of bits.
My favorite thing about these bits, though, is probably the prioritization of safety that has gone into their design. This leads to higher processing efficiency and reduces pollution and dust, as well. And of course, the price is attractive, too!
- Reliable long-time use of the bits is possible for its tungsten carbide construction.
- Their double-cut design with crossed teeth ensures smooth performance.
- One of the biggest benefits is that you can use the bits on thicker and tougher metals.
- These Dremel bits do not perform well at high speeds.
6. Bestgle 10Pcs Titanium Router Bits
- Shaft: 1/8”
- Shank Diameter: 1/8” (38mm)
- Teeth: High-Speed Steel
- Shank Length: 38mm (1.49″)
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Coating: Titanium
Next on my list is another super affordable set from Bestgle. Filled with 10 pieces of the most wanted routing bits from the slot- and rebating cutters to rounding-over cutters, this is the perfect set for those of you who are ready to take your wood engraving skills to the next level.
Unlike the other sets I have reviewed so far, the pieces in this one have been made from high-speed steel, which allows for a precise, sharp cut on your workpiece and a longer life for the bits.
The bits each come with a shank diameter of 1/8″ and measure 38mm in length, so they’re compatible with a wide range of rotary tools, including, of course, Dremel. So, you can confidently consider Bestgle as a manufacturer of the best Dremel bit for removing wood.
Like working with materials other than wood? No worries. These Bestgle bits can handle a wide variety of workpieces, from ABS and plastic to acrylic and even some soft metals.
From trimming and milling to routing and slotting, all of it can be achieved with this ultra-affordable and thoughtfully designed set.
All that being said, I would warn against expecting too much from these bits in terms of durability; depending on how heavily they are used, they might wear out faster than others in their class.
- 10 high-speed steel bits are suitable for engraving, routing, sitting, milling, and lots of different tasks.
- For more convenience, Bestgle makes them with 38mm length and ⅛” dia.
- They are suitable for soft materials like ABS, plastic, or acrylic.
- Besides the keyhole bit, other pieces are not that impressive.
7. Unho 20 PCS HSS Routing Router Grinding Bit Set
- Quantity: 20Pcs
- Teeth: Alloy Steel
- Application: Dremel Tools
- Weight: 2.08 ounces
I’ve come across some amazing 10-piece bit sets on the market, and they’re all equipped to handle the needs of most woodworking projects. But for those of you with even more specific needs, I present this beautiful 20-piece set from Unho.
Made from premium quality high-speed steel, these bits are made for dependable durability and a smooth, precise cut on any workpiece. Although you won’t be able to use these pieces on hard metals, they can still handle a large number of other materials of low to medium density, such as plastic and ABS.
I love the speed and efficiency with which these bits can be used, and this no doubt owes itself to their construction.
It’s worth noting, though, that the finishing of these bits is not the best; if you’re not a seasoned handler of tools and parts, they can be somewhat unsafe to use.
However, given the affordable price and the wide practical use of the set, it’s still one of the best I’ve come across.
- The bits are compatible with most of the rotary tool brands in the market.
- For efficiency, speed, and durability, they are made from high-speed steel.
- The set includes 20 different bits covering a wide range of Sundays applications.
- You won’t get a satisfactory result for carving on the hardwood.
8. QLOUNI 20pcs Rotary Bit Burrs Set
- Quantity: 20Pcs
- Teeth: HSS Tungsten Carbide
- Shank diameter: 1/8’’(3mm)
- Application: Dremel Tools
- Weight: 7.1 ounces
The final set of bits on my list is one I came across when searching for the best Dremel bit for cutting wood. With 20 different bits of high-quality construction, this offering from QLOUNI is bound to stand out to beginner and novice woodworkers.
From engraving and carving and even drilling, this is a multi-functional set that is guaranteed to bring life to your workpieces.
With their high-speed steel construction and tungsten coating, these bits are made to last. So, no matter the demands of your studio, you can count on these guys to see you through them.
So, let’s look at some specs. Each of these bits has a shank diameter of 1/8″, which makes this set the perfect choice for a Dremel tool. The length of each bit is 4cm, so you can get just the right amount of control when using your routing tool.
The possibilities are endless with this set. Be it beveling, engraving, grooving, chamfering, or reaming (among many other functions); I doubt you’ll need any other Dremel rotary bits for wood carving.
Regardless of whether you’re a budding professional or a DIYer, I believe these bits will suit your needs perfectly. Do note that the finishing of these bits might be a little rough for some, but hey, did you look at the price tag?
- You can rely on the performance of these boys because of their high-speed steel construction.
- They are slightly longer than others with 40 lengths.
- These are ideal for both beginners and DIYers due to the wide range of compatibility with rotary tools.
- The only downside is that the bits do not come with any box.
Also Read: Best Wood Carving Disc Reviews | Top Picks
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Dremel Bits for Wood Carving
Confused about which Dremel bit is right for you? That’s okay. Here’s some more information on how to pick the most suitable one for yourself.
The beauty of a Dremel tool is that it can be used for a variety of purposes. As such, some different bit types can be used with the tool. You might be surprised to learn that most types can be used for wood carving, from engraving to cutting—regardless of their originally intended purpose. So, let’s have a look at the different types below.
1. Cutting Bits
If you were wondering whether you can use your Dremel tool to do some cutting, worry not, because it’s completely possible thanks to cutting bits. These are usually disc-shaped but can look different according to the amount of space in between the teeth. If the intervals are larger, this usually indicates that they can be used for bulk cutting operations.
2. Drilling and Routing Bits
A wide selection of both, routing and drilling bits from Dremel allow you to carry out two of the most important wood-carving functions there are. The drilling ability of your Dremel tool depends on its strength, though, so make sure you check for compatibility first.
3. Sanding Bits
Yep, you read that right: you can use a Dremel bit for sanding your wood workpiece (a crucial part of the process in some projects). Sanding bits can be one of two types: drum bits and disc bits. Drum bits are characterized by a small cylindrical shape with an abrasive band at the end.
Meanwhile, disc bits are, well, disc-shaped, and they come with an abrasive surface to facilitate smooth sanding. Oh, and it’s not just wood; you can use these bits to sand, but even other materials like glass.
4. Etching and Engraving Bits
Thanks to the small size of Dremel tool bits, making intricate designs with them is super easy. So, for all the fine details on your workpiece, you’ll be needing bits that are made to engrave and etch. The range of bits designed to do this is quite wide, however, so finding the right ones will require some experimenting at first.
The build quality, durability, and level of functionality that you can expect from your new Dremel tool bits depend a lot on what it’s made from.
The most suitable Dremel bits for wood cutting are usually made from carbide due to their strength and high cutting ability.
When it comes to carving wood, you can go for bits made from high-speed steel (HSS) as well as carbide. While carbide is more durable, HSS rivals it in terms of strength and is available at a cheaper price.
Head Shape and Size
If you’ve already looked into some Dremel bits, you will no doubt have noticed the variety of heads they come in. The shape and size of the head determine what you can achieve with the bit.
For example, a bit with a smaller head allows you to carve out fine details on your workpiece, while a larger head is typically attached to bits intended for rougher applications.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What Dremel bits are good for wood carving?
According to my research, Kutzall Original Flame Rotary Burr is the best thing you can get for carving wood.
2. What exactly is a Dremel tool bit?
A Dremel tool, or rotary tool, allows you to produce carvings on your wood pieces (among other uses). Different Dremel bits allow you to use the rotary tool for other functions and jobs.
3. What is the right shank diameter for wood carving?
For wood carving projects, the most common shank diameters are 1/16″, ⅛,” ¼,” and 3/32″.
4. What can I do with my rotary tool other than carving wood?
From sanding, cutting, and polishing to grinding and drilling, the possibilities are endless. You just need the right bits.
5. Can I use my Dremel bits on rotary tools manufactured by other brands?
Yes, some Dremel bits are made to offer a universal fit and can be used on multitools by other brands.
6. What size bits are most suitable for a Dremel rotary tool?
The majority of Dremel accessory shanks come in a size of 3.2mm. However, they are also available in 0.8mm, 1.6mm, and 2.4mm.
7. What is the suitable Dremel speed for wood carving?
Making an oversimplified answer to this question will not be helpful for your work. However, some experts mention that a range between 5000 to 30000 RPM is suitable Dremel speed for wood carving.
The best Dremel bits for wood carving are those that have been designed for efficiency, offer long life, and can offer you a wide range of applications.
With that in mind, this set from ALLmuis is my favorite. If you’re on a budget, though, then this offering from QLOUNI will certainly appeal to you.
Good luck, and I hope your pieces always come out beautifully!